Beautiful Joe Heritage Society began in 1994. The Society was incorporated in 1997 and received charitable tax designation in 1998. Beautiful Joe Park was created in 1963 along with a commemorative plaque at the site. Since then we have completed many other aspects of the development of the Project. Here is some of the progress the Society has made:
Beautiful Joe Park Enhancement
- Directional signage to the Park
- Landscaping and enclosure of Beautiful Joe's gravesite
- Additional walking trails created
- Installation of underground water and hydro lines
- Increased parking capacity
- Installation of a Personal Service monument
- 911 monument
- Installation of a Memorial Pavilion to beloved pets
Marketing and Promotional Materials
- Creation of a new logo
- Creation of a general information brochure
- Creation of new stationery
- Creation of a colouring book
- Creation of a bite prevention brochure
- Development of a website for an interactive educational internet presence.
The Beautiful Joe website will serve as a focal point for the Society and a venue for the meaningful interaction and exchange of knowledge for some of the animal and, specifically canine related matters listed below:
- Humane treatment of animals.
- Proper care (general treatment, obedience, nutrition, grooming, medication, abuse, disease control, rabies clinics, animal control, breeding, research and new techniques etc.).
- The multitude of breeds (genetics, breeding, rearing, kennels, registration etc.).
- The recognition of present and past uses (dog guides, search and rescue, enforcement, protection, dog sleds, hunting, racing, herding, companionship for the elderly etc.).
- Animals that have attained celebrity status and/or qualify as outstanding interactions with humans, suitable for the Canine Hall of Fame (television, movies, cartoons, comic strips, heroic efforts etc.).
- Beautiful Joe Museum
- We hope to acquire the original home of Beautiful Joe
- Architectural/engineering design
- Furnishings and landscaping
- Acquisition of and display of materials about Margaret Marshall Saunders and Beautiful Joe
Beautiful Joe - Leash-free Park
- Development of a leash-free park facility in the Municipality of Meaford.
To see the leash-free dog park proposal, click here.
Beautiful Joe Park Enhancement
- Installation of a footbridge across Bighead River for improved access to Park and Museum.
- Family park component across river from Beautiful Joe Park.
- Creation of bus tours to Park.
To see the park accessibility proposal, click here.
- Develop a plan for merchandising/inventory to facilitate communications, education, merchandising, marketing and fundraising activities along with facilitating partnerships to accommodate website links for book sales with Ginger Press of Owen Sound.
- Facilitation of sales of various merchandise, such as colouring books, caps, t-shirts, posters or other types as yet to be decided.
- Installation of an e-finance facility for ease of purchasing of merchandise for the public.
- Continued search for sponsors
- Blessing of the animals
- Memorials to pets and service animals
- Dog shows
- K-9 demonstrations
- Animal care clinics
- General fundraising events
- Bus tours
This is a non-commercial project intended to promote and increase the awareness of various aspects of our Canadian heritage and culture for the benefit of all Canadians and people from around the world. Programs such as the Beautiful Joe Museum, Gift Shop, and Outstanding Animal Recognition will be self-sustaining once in place. Fundraising will be ongoing to assist with project expenditures such as continued research, improved displays and information gathering, and sharing and distribution to name a few.
To view the 2011 Summary of Activities for the Beautiful Joe Heritage Society, click here.